Atal Tunnel is no less than a marvel in Himachal Pradesh. Ever since the Atal Tunnel was built there have been many tourists coming here. This tunnel, constructed at the height of 10 thousand 40 feet above sea level had formed a unique world record of being the longest highway tunnel at 10,000 ft.
The engineering Marvel is a result of dedication of BRO workers, engineers and vision of former PM that has added a new dimension to Indian Border Infrastructure. Tourists can see the wonderful views in the lap of the Himalayas. The attractive feature of the Atal tunnel is that it links Manali, Lahaul and Spiti districts. It used to remain closed due to severe climate circumstances. It has become the most prevalent tourist place of Himachal Pradesh.
In this blog, you will explore the hidden gems of the Atal Tunnel.
If you have made up your mind & desperately scheduling a tour, nothing could be a better sightseeing tour than Atal Tunnel. It was almost unimaginable to visit remote border regions of Himachal Pradesh & Ladakh due to harsh weather situations. Owing to this condition government had to shut these locations for six months.
PM Narendra Modi initiated the inaugural ceremony of the Atal tunnel on 3 October 2020.
Few fascinating facts about the Atal Tunnel:
- The 9-Km long Atal Tunnel will link Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley round the year.
- Atal Tunnel will lessen the journey time by four to five hours and the roadway span by 46 km between Manali and Leh.
- Atal Tunnel is built at a statue of 3000 meters (10,000 feet) above mean sea level with perfect attributes in the Pir Panjal breadth of the Himalayas.
- The tunnel-roadway is 8 metres with an aloft approval of 5.525 metres. It is 10.5-metre wide and has a 3.6 x 2.25-metre unburnable crisis exit underpass in the main tunnel.
- The 9-km long Manali-Leh took a time of 10 years for its fulfilment with an evaluated cost of Rs 3,500 crore.
- Atal Tunnel has entrance barriers at both doorways. It has an auto happening detection system with CCTV cameras installed at every 250 metres.
- The tunnel will stimulate all-weather connectivity to remote border areas of Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh.
- The Atal Tunnel has the facility of a fire hydrant every 60 metres, a crisis exit at every 500 metres, a turning hollow every 2.2 km, evacuation lighting, and a broadcasting system.
- The tunnel took 14,508 metric tonnes of steel; 2,37,596 metric tonnes of cement, and the new Austrian tunnelling method for construction.
- On December 24, 2019, the government decided to name the Rohtang Atal Tunnel to memorialize ex-prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee on his 95th birth anniversary.
Security Protocols To Ensure Tourist's Safety
Marked a world record, the Atal Tunnel was constructed using the New Austrian tunnelling approach and fitted with a semi-transverse ventilation technique to facilitate passengers with proper ventilation throughout the tunnel. A 2.25 m tall and 3.6 m broad crisis tunnel was incorporated into the cross-section underneath the main carriageway. Fire hydrants are available in distinct areas throughout the tunnel.
Since the Atal tunnel is likely to detect heavy traffic, CCTV cameras are installed at regular intervals in the tunnel, and connected to two monitoring rooms on both ends of the tunnel for vehicular surveillance and pollution monitoring. Pollution sensors constantly monitor the air grade in the tunnel.
Experience Enchanting View Through Atal Tunnel
Travelling through this panoramic tunnel presents some of the most amazing views that you never forgot in your life. There are many more tourist interests and remote hamlets, but these are the top nearby attractions to visit near Atal Tunnel: Sissu, Laurel valley and Kullu Manali. After visiting Manali, one can see the high-altitude snow-covered passes of Himalayas as Dhauladhar Ranges. Lahaul Valley offers totally different views of Himachal. The journey to Atal Tunnel will open up fascinating sightseer appeals to behold for a memory Atal Tunnel Tour. Chandra River, peaks of Gyephang Goh, Palden Lhamo Dhar waterfall are other rejuvenating places to visit. For adventure trails, camping, trekking, snowboarding, skiing & ice skating are very popular.
Hurdles During The Making Of The Tunnel
The most problematic task was to persist in the excavation during heavy snowfall in winter. However, as the Rohtang pass seals during the winter, the north portal was not available during winter, and the excavation was done only from the south portal in winters. Only about one-fourth of the entire tunnel was dug from the north end and three-fourths from the south end. There were more than 46 avalanche sites on paths to the tunnel.
Other hurdles to the headway possessed difficulties in disposing of more than 8 lakh cubic meters of excavated rock, soil and heavy access to water (as much as 30 lakh litres per day in June 2012). A cloud burst on 8 August 2003 killing 42 laborer’s who built the interim entrance road.
Also Read: Travel with Environment friendly Electric Buses between Manali to Rohtang Pass
Best Time To Plan A Tour To Atal Tunnel
It is the explanation which you can pleasingly tell yourself. If you adore winters, then we assure you that Atal Tunnel is one of the most renowned tourist locations if you want to encounter snowfall. So, the best time to witness snowfall is between December to March.
If you want to stay here, and want a velvety enjoyment then the months of April, May and June are suitable for you. But remember, Rohtang Pass is closed in winters, so you can return to Manali by the Solang valley route only as Atal Tunnel ties Manali to Rohtang Pass, Keylong and Ladakh.
The tunnel has a public information system to make a critical announcements in crises, for which loudspeakers are installed at regular intervals. To avert any harm from Heavy snowfall, and guarantee security. Tunnel users alike, avalanche control systems have been made.
Why Should You Plan A Atal Tunnel Tour In Himachal Pradesh?
The building of the Atal Tunnel linking Manali with Leh, which is the most comprehensive roadway in the world above 10,000 feet took 10 years to complete. The horseshoe-shaped single-tube, the double-lane & has many firsts. It is the First tunnel to have a getaway tunnel because of the terrain.