Have you ever seen those amusing viral videos of people walking on glass-bottomed bridges? Well, now you can experience something similar in Kerala! The state recently inaugurated its longest cantilever glass bridge in Vagamon, courtesy of Tourism Minister PA Mohammed Riyas. This incredible bridge stands tall at 3,600 ft above sea level amidst the Vagamon hills, stretching for 40 meters.
Picture this: surrounded by lush greenery, when you stand at the end of the bridge, you are treated to breathtaking views of rolling hills, valleys, and the charming towns of Koottikkal and Kokkayar. Walking on this transparent pathway leads you to the mesmerizing beauty of Vagamon. It is a thrilling adventure right in the heart of nature. Here are the complete details about this remarkable structure that one should know before visiting.
Popularity of this Cantilever Glass Bridge
The glass bridge quickly captured public interest upon its opening, with 11,159 visitors visiting the sight by September 22. During the period when the entry fee stood at Rs 500, 3,110 people visited the bridge. Following the reduction in ticket prices to Rs 250 on September 14, the number soared to 8,049 visitors until September 22. Impressively, the District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) collected Rs 35,67,250 in ticket sales by that date. As per the agreement with the private firm responsible for installing the bridge, 30 per cent of the revenue will be allocated to the DTPC, while 70 per cent will go to the company.
The location of this glass bridge is JWRC+99, Amruthamedu Rd, Amreuthamedu, Vagamon, Kerala 685501.
Longitude and Latitude
The longitude and latitude of this place are 9.641648792383638 and 76.9199553, respectively.
This largest cantilever glass bridge in India has seen a surge in popularity. In just one week after its inauguration, a total of 3,463 visitors flocked to the cantilever glass bridge. Idukki District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) secretary Jitheesh Jose stated that the bridge has quickly become a major attraction, drawing in nearly 700 to 800 tourists daily.
Due to overwhelming demand from tourists, the entry fee has been reduced from ?500 to ?250 per person, as announced by Minister for Tourism P.A. Mohamed Riyas.
- To manage the overwhelming crowds, the Idukki District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) has introduced a new system. Visitors will now be issued tickets specifying their designated visiting time. This decision was influenced by the influx of over 5,000 visitors on a single day, causing the bridge to exceed its capacity. The DTPC authorities took action to implement this measure after the police were called for crowd control due to the unexpected surge in visitors on September 17th.
- Visitors can approach the glass bridge only during the specific time mentioned on their ticket. Strict arrangements have been implemented to ensure that visitors adhere to their allotted time slots.
- To maintain crowd control, authorities have enforced a limit of 1,000 visitors per day. Tickets will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis starting from 9 a.m., allowing visitors to spend five to seven minutes on the bridge during their allocated time slot.
- To ensure safety and comfort, only 15 individuals will be permitted on the bridge at any given time.
These measures aim to enhance the visitor experience and manage the flow of people effectively.
Under the new system, the glass bridge has timings from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., with ticket issuance starting at 9 a.m. However, there is a notable change: the ticket counter, once near the bridge, has been relocated to the area where tickets for other adventure activities are sold. Visitors are now required to purchase tickets from this new counter.
Choose A Package
The DTPC has introduced exciting new packages for visitors at the Adventure Park.
- The 'Silver' package, priced at Rs 999, includes access to the glass bridge, sky cycle, zipline, and 360-degree cycle.
- Stepping it up, the 'Gold' package, available at Rs 1499, offers additional thrills such as the rocket injector and freefall, along with all the features in the Silver package.
- For the best experience, travellers can opt for the 'Platinum' package at Rs 1999, granting them access to all the attractions within the park.
These packages promise a day filled with adventure and excitement for every visitor.
Also, Know How the Bridge was Built
The bridge stands tall, supported by sturdy steel cables and towering poles, welcoming up to 15 adventurers at a time and offering them a bird's eye view of the enchanting Vagamon hill station. Crafted from approximately 35 tonnes of steel imported from Germany, this structure stands as a testament to modern engineering. Nijas Muhammed, a visitor who bravely ventured across the glass bridge, shared his experience and said that nature enthusiasts will find solace in its panoramic views and feel truly immersed in the natural splendour.
Located within the DTPC's adventure tourism park, the glass bridge is not the only thrill on offer. There are many attractions and exciting activities to engage with. This project made possible through a public-private partnership between the district tourism promotion council and Bharat Mata Ventures Pvt Ltd, required an investment of INR 3 crore. Tourism officials express optimism that the introduction of this glass bridge will significantly boost tourism in Vagamon. The inauguration ceremony was graced by the presence of Peermade MLA Vazhoor Soman, Udumbanchola MLA M M Mani, and district panchayat president K T Binu.