Most heard and thronged hill station of Uttarakhand- Nainital will not leave you astonished every time you visit. A small Hill town, located at the foothills of the Kumaon range is surrounded with lush green mountains and natural beauty glitters with crystal clear water of lakes. The fascinating land will be an ideal choice for light adventure, boating, shopping or just relaxing amid beautiful valleys. The place has something for everyone in Nainital, so without thinking much, you can plan your Nainital tour with amazing guide by us.
With Naini Lake as centre of attraction of city, Nainital is set within a valley at elevation of 6358 feet with towering peak- Naina Peak. Besides attractions in city, the district has several lakes to visit and enjoy the exhilarating experience. The colonial structure established by British is still visible in old edifices of Nainital. Increasing population and construction of hotels, resorts had changed some area of city, so if you are visiting year after, browse well.
How to Reach Nainital in Uttarakhand
The nearest Railway Station is kathgodam connected with major cities. Nainital has its own station but only for commuting within districts. Haldwani or Ramnagar is nearest points near it, from where you can easily hire a cab or taxi to arrive the destination. Taking Delhi as centre point, it take approx. 6-8 hours depending upon route you choose to travel. It takes approx. 7 hours to reach via Muradabad route. Entry and exits in main town are through mall road which remains very congested in peak tourist hours, so try to park your vehicle outskirts.
Best Time to Visit Nainital
Being a year around destination, Nainital weather can be best enjoyed from Late February to April. Monsoon season can be avoidable. To spot snow and white painted peaks, December to January is best peak. For a moderate climate & less rush, choose the travel time between from September to October. March & October are peak seasons, so plan ahead of booking hotels.
How to Plan Perfect Nainital Trip
Two nights 3 days plan is enough to explore all the sightseeing points of City of lakes, but if you are in hurry make 1 day short, where you have to avoid the trek parts. The 3 days Nainital trip is good to explore activities as well as spend beautiful time in lap of nature and indulge in shopping at Bada Bazar, Mallital. Nearest Airport is Pantnagar Airport which is connected with major cities & frequent flights.
Let’s go for a Sightseeing tour of Nainital….
There are various sites that can be availed by different groups. Here we are summarizing famous activities to explore in City from where you can choose as per travelling group.
1) For Adventure Lovers, Start the Day with Naina Peak Trek
Have the breathtaking view of entire city of Nainital from highest peak- China Peak. The trek amidst the dense forest of Rhododendrons and Deodars will leave you spellbound.
2) Visit Naina Devi Temple to seek blessings of Goddess
Situated at the edge of Naini Lake has serene surroundings where you sit back, relax and enjoy the amazing views.
3) Tiffin Top to get amazing views of Himalayas availed by trekking or Horse riding
Tiffin Top offers 360-degree view of Nainital abounded with beautiful mountain ranges.
4) Boat ride in Heart of City: Naini Lake
A perfect activity for any age tourist with ride in padded boat or self operated boat in cool water streams of Naini Lake. The lake surrounded by mountains on three side and one side facing Mall Road is so enchanting. Boating begins early morning at ends before sunset. The charges are approx. 200-300 INR per boat that allows 4 people in one boat. During winter, it glimmers with moonlight reflecting on snow at its surface
5) Eco Cave Gardens- A must visit and recommended recreation park with fun loaded activites inside the premises. There are six famous caves carved out of series of ancient rock-cut. A garden with swings for children, short distance ziplining. This is the best place for locals to spend an entire day with kids. Enjoy the musical fountain show at the evening. For tourists 2-3 hours will be well enough to enjoy all activities. Ticket price is 60-100 INR per person depending on age.
6) Nainital Zoo- Enjoy the fauna of Hill station with High Altitude Nainital Zoo, home to several endangered Himalayan wildlife species like Himalayan Bear, Tibetan Wolf and other animals.
7) Snow-View Point with Ropeway Service- Ropeway ride will excite your kids to travel from Ropeway point to Snow View Point. The 4 minute drive inside the Cabin will give you opportunity to view beauty of city from an elevated Height. The Ticket for one person is 300 INR while for Kids it is 200 INR. This ticket allows you to spend 1 hour at the other point.
At the other side, must visit attractions are Snow View Point from where snow-covered Himalayas can be seen clearly. There is Kids Zone with rides, Dinosaur World and many more. All these activities can be availed at extra charges. There is also a small market of Nainital handicrafts and food outlets.
8) Paragliding in Naukuchital- Have a wonderful experience of paragliding at famous lake spot Naukuchiatal which is approx. 26 km form Mall Road.
Locations to visit near Nainital
Mukteshwar- For spending time in quaint hills of Mukteshwar, picnic besides cascading waterfall, the place is best just 48 kms away from City centre.
Jim Corbett National Park- Wildlife enthusiasts can choose for Forest Safari in wide expanded area of Jim Corbett with lucky enough to spot a royal Bengal Tiger.
Ranikhet- 9-hole Golf Course, lush green fields cuddled by mountainous vistas of Himalayas will give you a hill station tour just at 58 Km away from hustle-bustle of Nainital.
Bhimtal & Sattal- another famous lakes lying in Nainital District boasting similar beauty as Naini Lake & varied historical story.
There is something for everyone in Nainital
For Honeymoon Couples- One of the best Hill stations in India to plan a Honeymoon trip and relax in cosy homestays or resorts. Quality time spend with Boating in Naini Lake or Bhimtal, strolling at mall Road & sightseeing to famous places are highlights of Honeymmon trip.
A Family Affair- Make your Nainital family trip special with ride in Ropeway, Visit to Naina Devi Temple, High altitude Nainital Zoo & ride in one of the lakes of Lake city.
Experience light adventures- For adventure seekers, Nainital offers veritable activities as paragliding, trekking to Tiffin Top, rock Climbing at Bada Pathar, Horse riding to Tiffin Top.
Things To carry on Nainital trip
• The temperature slides down quickly in morning & night. Must carry light woollen clothes or warm wear specially for elders & kids. If travelling from March to June, cotton clothes will be ok in daytime.
• Network remains weak on hilly areas, so try to take BSNL Sim Card.
• Thinking of trekking or any other adventure, walking shoes will be most comfortable.
• Carry Sunscreen and some basic medicines if you are preparing to trek on heights.
Food & Accommodation in Nainital
You will get enough veg and Non-veg resturants in Nainital with North Indian Food. For little snacks, road side vendors on mall road & Bada Bazar are pretty good to have maggi, momos, Kulhad wali Chai, Sweet corn, Omellete and so many things.
Accommodations are slightly costlier in Nainital. In peak seasons, you must book the hotels in advance to save a hole in your pocket. There are ample of hotels at Mall Road facing Naini lake while resorts and good hotels are on hill top 400 m away form Mall Road. For a peaceful stay in resorts surrounded by lush greenery, you can also opt for stay at Bhimtal.
If you are seeking for a rejuvenating & relaxing holidays amid mountains & greenery, plan a trip to Nainital with your family or partner.